If you are trying to lose weight or adopt a healthier lifestyle, every part of your day is an important component of your journey.
Start the day off right to ensure you reach your weight loss success and stay on track all day long.
Here are 6 thing you can do in the morning to boost your success:
- Drink water – And not just a couple of sips, or the rest of the glass beside your bed. Rather 500 ml to one liter of water, soon after waking. This awakens your body and turns on all your systems, which have been in hibernation overnight, and also starts the all-important process of hydrating. In addition, it can help fill you up so that you don’t tend to eat an excessively large breakfast because you wake up super hungry.
- Exercise – Not only does morning exercise mean you get it done and don’t end up with excuses later, but it also means that you get a boost of natural energy first thing in the morning and will be less reliant on sugary foods and coffee to get you going for the day. TO start off, aim for a 30-minute workout. You can have one that you do in your house or garage, or go for a run or walk. Once you get used to it, you will be impressed with the positive outcome it has on your day!
- Eat a high protein breakfast – When we eat breakfast, it is our first meal after a 12 hour fast, and our body is hungry! If you eat carbohydrates, this will cause a spike in your blood sugar, which will be followed later by a crash in your blood sugar and energy. This cycle will then continue all day as you eat more carbohydrates to fuel your crash, and then crash again within a couple of hours. Instead, prevent this by having a protein rich breakfast and giving your body a steady state energy supply!
- Give yourself time – There’s nothing to set the day off to a bad start like having to rush. Whether your rushing leads you to end up skipping breakfast, grabbing an unhealthy breakfast at the café next to work, or forces you to miss your workout, nobody does well when they are flustered from rushing around all morning. Not to mention, rushing is perceived as stress by the body. When the body is under stress, it releases cortisol, the stress hormone and overtime, this can cause our body to retain fat, hence making us gain weight or at the very least, making it difficult to lose weight. Furthermore, stressful situations, for many of us, lead to stress eating and this is never a good outcome!
- Have a routine – Get into a morning routine that you can stick to every day. Your body will become used to the cues and schedule and you will find yourself less likely to do things like skip your morning workout, or make unhealthy breakfast choices. Plus, routine ensures you get to work without forgetting anything important and that you are ready for the day ahead!
- Prep the night before – Maybe this is a night before hack, but regardless, it will make your morning that much better. If you are the type of person who seems to be always in a rush in the morning, or who has a hard time getting organized, one of the best things you can do is prep everything the night before. Pick out your clothes and what you are going to wear, make your lunch and pack it up, ready to go in the fridge, pack your bag, and even go so far as to cut the bread for your toast if that’s what you need to do. Whatever it is that will make your morning run smoothly will be much appreciated later on and will keep you from relying on unhealthy habits to get you out the door!