You know the people I’m talking about. The ones that say I’m going to lose weight and then 2 months later, they’re halfway to their goal. No setbacks, or bumps, plateau or struggle, they’re just on their way.
It may seem that way from the outside, but the reality is, that anyone trying to lose weight has setbacks and struggles, and a few bad days along the way.
The difference though is in the attitude you have towards these.
Here’s why these people are successful in losing weight:
1) They know that messing up once doesn’t mean you messed everything up - When you realize you just ate the whole bag of chips while you were watching a movie, do you think, “well I just messed up my whole day, so I may as well have the bag of cookies too,” or do you think “ooops, got a little off track, but now I have the rest of the day to eat healthy.”
People who are successful at losing weight think of it as the latter, not using one mess up as a reason to mess up the whole day, or as a reason to starve themselves for the rest of the day to make up for it. Make the mistake, acknowledge it, think about why it happened and then move on and treat the rest of the day as the chance to get back on track.
2) They stick with it – even when times are tough – If losing weight were easy, nobody would be overweight. Accept from the beginning, that this is going to be a challenging journey; that there will be ups and downs, smiles and tears, successes and failures. Recognize that sometimes the road will be bumpy, or that you will feel discourages and that sometimes it’s going to take all you’ve got to make it happen.
But the difference between losing the weight and not is that you have to give it your all. People who are successful at losing weight grit their teeth and keep on pushing through, no matter where that road goes, or how hard the hill is. Find a support team that you can reach out to when you need it, and then put your head down and push on.
4) They have the something is better than nothing attitude – There will always be days when you are too busy to get in your full workout, or you end up having to eat out more than you would like, or when you are just too exhausted to go to the gym. But people who successfully lose weight, don’t give up altogether – they compromise. Instead of going to the gym for an hour, how about 30 minutes? If you wake up late, and don’t have time to go to the gym, run from home instead, even if it is just 15 minutes. At the end of the day, doing something is better than nothing!
5) They adopt a lifestyle – If you want to reach your weight loss goals, you have to look at it as a change in lifestyle, not as a temporary lifestyle. The changes you are making are ones that you need to adopt and be able to sustain for the rest of your life so that you don’t just gain the weight back later. If you are putting expectations on yourself that you couldn’t live up to for the next several years to come, consider that maybe those expectations are unrealistic. Instead, ask yourself what you can start to do today that you can continue to do every day, and create a healthy lifestyle that you can turn into your every day life.
6) They allow themselves mistakes and learn from them – We are only human. Don’t beat yourself up when things go wrong, you overeat a few times or you skip a few workouts. Instead, ask yourself why it happened. What were the events that precipitated you eating that entire bag of chips, and what can you do next time to make sure you don’t do it again. It’s not that individuals who are successful at weight loss don’t make mistakes, it’s that they learn from the mistakes they made and then set themselves up for success next time.